Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Toldja!

I start giggling to myself as I imagine the look on Ta's face when he takes a big whif of the shit smelling tofu.

A huge gold pot, standing at attention, welcoming visitors to taste the rare delicacy. Olden tables and chairs, cosy wall fans, a display of herbal pudding, and drinks lined the little refrigerated cabinet under the cash register.We take a seat in the corner on the left. I make it a point to try not to be downwind from where the stuff will finally but set on the table. I took the liberty to order some white fungus drink made with rock sugar, and the one serving of our objective.

Pinching my nose I watched the beautiful golden brown platter being set gently in front of me, swiftly, I nudged it towards Ta. He took a fork, poked a piece, and into his mouth it went. Straight faced he chewed and swallowed. I couldn't believe it. There was nothing, no reaction, his taste buds must have been deactivated, the receptors to his nose failing.

OMG! Smell it I said, just breath it in before you take another bite, you'll enjoy it so much more. lol . Stooping his nose barely a centimeter from the horror, he took a huge whif. I could almost feel the pungent stench get stuck in his throat, as he hesitates to breath in further or exhale as quick as humanly possible.I can see it in his face now. He finally realises that he just swallowed something that smells like a sewer! No more "not my cup of tea" stuff he was brought up to politely express. Dis stuff smell like SHITE! There's no other way to put it. It tastes the way it
smells, so there's nowhere to run.

I told you so Ta, I told you so.

1 comment:

  1. You have to take me to eat Chow Tau Foo - I have been so curious about this since Neneck described this in the most colourful manner when she came back from her holiday in Hong Kong. I bombard every Hongkie I meet with questions about Chow Tau Foo.

    ReplyDelete