Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Dates, Dating, Relationship

People often ask me, what is the difference between going on a date, dating, and being in a relationship, I could never really differentiate that before, and it didnt occur to me as being important until people started asking me, why I was seeing/dating/going on dates with so many guys.

I saw nothing wrong with the situation that I was in, I made known my intentions, merely to get to know a person more. Only when you get to know a person can you decide whether you would want to be in a relationship with them, and never the other way around. Is it wrong to have lunch or dinner with a guy, talking, laughing, and having a good time? Personally I dont think so. Does going out on this type of date mean that one is in a relationship? No it does not.

What is wrong with going out with A today, B tomorrow and C, the next day? It's just like hanging with your friends everyday.

Now if you regularly date, say A, then you guys are dating, getting to know each other better, perhaps just beginning to realise that there could, maybe be something more. You can still date people like D and E, coz they're just friends, but if you are serious about being in a relationship with A, then it is not recommended to be going on dates with other people.

Now if you and A decide to take it one step further, and start a relationship, then there should be no good reason to go out on dates, nor to be dating someone else.

When you meet someone, they're an acquaintance. You have every right to hang with anyone else.

When you go out with them once or twice for dinner, or lunch, or even a trip to the library, with intentions of getting to know each other better, you are going on a date or two, no big deal, still early, just friends getting to know each other, he might be completely not your type, this is the time to find out. Going on dates with other people is fine, as you're just getting to know other people.

When you go out with this person regularly, hang out regularly, more than just once or twice, you are dating. When you're dating someone, you're not in a relationship, you can go on dates with other people, you shouldnt, but if you feel that you want to, this is still the stage where it's okay.

When both parties make a verbal agreement to be each other's bf and gf, you are in a relationship. Two people in a relationship should be loyal to each other, they should no longer be dating nor going on dates. People that they meet or know should never exceed friendship, without benefits.

This is how I describe date, dating and relationships, I guess the point that I am trying to stress is that if you are in a relatoinship now, you made that decision because you really wanted to be this person's one and only, if you wanna mess around, dont get into a relationship.

If you and your person do not have a verbal initiation, or a mutual agreement that both of you are in a relationship, then you are not, and if you're not in a relationship then your partner is subject to date, although strongly advised against.

1 comment:

  1. I love it. A guy friend that I thougt I was dating, but turns out he's says we are still just friends asked me yesterday what the differences were. We had been on several dates. I knew we weren't exclusive yet and still trying to get to know eachother. Well turns out, he makes a statement that he's not dating anyone. I say "excuse me, aren't we dating"

    ReplyDelete